Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

End of Sprint 1

This Sprint I was assigned to work on camera functions for the player. I had a couple of things I wanted to accomplish.
-Wall Collision
-Full range of motion.

I'm pleased to say that I have accomplished these tasks even with a busy week of other school work. I'm still tweaking numbers to make the camera as smooth as possible, but the main tasks are done.

At first when working on this small project I ran into the problem of not knowing the existing code as well as I should have. With some pair programming with Blake Sleight, I learned a little more of what I needed to about how the camera was initially set up.
The Camera now checks if there is anything between it and the player and reacts when there is something colliding.
There were two ways that we implemented into the code to interact with a collision. First was it automatically jumps to the walls position, and Second was that it moves forward until there is not a collision.
Through test with both of these implementations, I decided that having the camera move forward to avoid collisions was less jarring to the player.
The Last task I had was to give the camera a full range of motion. So that you could move it Vertically as well as horizontally as was in the prototype code.
I have implemented this and tested different speeds, and I have chosen numbers that made the camera feel smooth to me. These numbers are all prone to change for later in the game testing stages.

My goal now is to put into place a bound on the vertical movement before tomorrow (right now you can move up has high as you want), and to get it submitted to git. I find that most of  my hold ups in programming are coming through working with the repository. I've never used git before and am running into lots of problems with it. With help from Mavin Martin our Programmer lead, we've been able to resolve most of the issues, but I find it still takes a lot of time out of valuable working time.

No comments:

Post a Comment